From this NYT article Even More Reasons to Get a Move On:
New Orleans Ultimate Fitness Trainers
I have worked in health clubs for 29 years. Some of the more egregious examples of the lack of upkeep in health clubs that I have seen:
· Mushrooms growing out of the carpet in the wet area. I was amazed by the phenomenon as much as I was disgusted.
· An infestation of worms crawling around in the steam room
· The smell of urine on the hot rocks in the sauna
From this Science News article Progressive Resistance Strength Training Helps Older People In Daily Life:
Three years ago we opened our doors to Kelly Personal Training in Austin. When I moved to Austin I did not know a single person. I had no network or friends to help out. I was unfamiliar with all that was involved in opening a small business In Texas. After much delay we opened are doors.
From this study Effects of high-intensity strength training on multiple risk factors for osteoporotic fractures. A randomized controlled trial comes this result:
High-intensity strength training exercises are an effective and feasible means to preserve bone density while improving muscle mass, strength, and balance in postmenopausal women.
From the International Journal of Obesity study, Individual variability following 12 weeks of supervised exercise: identification and characterization of compensation for exercise-induced weight loss the details:
* 35 subjects exercised five times a week for 12 weeks
* The average weight lost was 8.2 pounds.
* The best subject lost 32.3 pounds
* The worst subject gained 3.74 pounds
From this article Study Predicts Obesity Apocalypse by 2030:
From this article, Bottom line: Back injuries are a pain:
Concentric and eccentric muscle actions play a part in building strength. From this article Benefits of Concentric and Eccentric Strength Training: