“In 1925, Austin recorded 69 days of triple-digit heat. The high temperature reached 101 degree in Austin this Friday afternoon-the 44th day this summer that highs have reached or exceeded 100 degrees”
* What to do in this heat? Some tips from the National Weather Service:
* Increase Your Intake of Non-Alcoholic, Non-Carbonated, Caffeine Free Beverages Such as Water and Juice.
* Wear Clothing That is Light in Color and Loose Fitting.
* Avoid The Outdoors During Extreme Heat. Stay Out of the Sun.
*Stay in an Air-Conditioned Environment if Possible. Shopping Malls Offer Relief if Your Home is not Air-Conditioned.
* Check On The Elderly. They are Especially Susceptible to Heat Related Illness.
* Eliminate Strenuous Activity Such as Running, Biking and Lawn Care Work When it Heats Up.
* Eat Less Foods That Increase Metabolic Activity/Heat. Proteins are an Example. * Increased Metabolic Heat Increases Water Loss.